What are wisdom teeth?
When should wisdom teeth be removed?
Although wisdom teeth can be removed at any age, the most common time is between the ages of 12 and 25 years.This allows for removal when the teeth roots are only partially formed and healing is optimized due to the patient’s age.
What complications are associated with NOT removing impacted/retained wisdom teeth?
- The creation of bone and soft tissue defects behind the second molars
- Root resorption of the second molars
- Formation of decay within the third or second molar due to inability to adequately clean between the teeth
- Crowding or shifting of other teeth, thus ruining previous orthodontic treatment
- An infection called pericornitis that occurs around partially erupted lower third molars
- Cysts and tumors can form around unerupted third molars
- Lower jaw fractures are more likely with impacted third molars
What to expect with wisdom teeth surgery?
At your consultation, the doctor will go over your health history and films and give you an opportunity to ask questions. An appointment will be made that is convenient for you. Since wisdom teeth are frequently removed with IV sedation, a driver will be required to accompany you to your appointment and escort you home at the completion of your care. On the day of your appointment you will need to arrive at the office wearing comfortable clothing and flat-heeled shoes. Please refrain from wearing jewelry, contact lenses and finger nail polish, acrylic nails and gel nails. An IV will be started and you will feel very relaxed. At the completion of your procedure, you will stay in the office for a period of time in order to recover from the medications that you received. Instructions and a prescription for pain medication will be given and a follow up phone call will be made later that day. Any questions after hours will go directly to our on call answering service, thus ensuring the best possible care.
"This is our second visit to Dr. Haggerty ‘s. Both my daughters had their wisdom teeth removed. The Doctor and staff were amazing. Everyone so nice and helpful and just great. There was never a feeling of nervousness for the girls because of how well everything was explained and that means the world when your kids are relaxed for a surgery. So bravo Doctor and staff…Job Well Done! As usual!"
– Lea Ann Hadggega